Team eyes dream end to season by adding to Verstappen title in Austin.
After Max Verstappen sealed his second FIA Formula One World Championship driver’s title at the Japanese Grand Prix last time out, Oracle Red Bull Racing can add their first constructors’ title since 2013 at the United States GP this weekend. Here is all you need to know:
– With Charles Leclerc’s final-lap penalty at Suzuka handing Verstappen a second title following his maiden 2021 one, Oracle Red Bull Racing turn their attention back to the constructors’ title race now.
– German Sebastian Vettel’s four drivers’ titles in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 helped propel the team to four constructors’ titles in the same years alongside consistent Australian teammate Mark Webber.
– After Mercedes just held on to win the 2021 constructors’ title from Verstappen and Sergio Pérez, the Dutchman and Mexican have overcome a tricky start to the 2022 season to thrive with 14 combined victories.
– There are 191 points available across the final four races with Oracle Red Bull Racing’s current advantage over Ferrari at 165 and 147 points available after the United States GP is completed.
– Consequently, Ferrari must outscore their rivals by 19 points at the Circuit of the Americas with a one-two finish and the bonus point for fastest lap offering 44 points to take it to the next race.
– Despite that, Oracle Red Bull Racing could simply finish in P3 and P4 with Verstappen and Pérez to start the title celebrations thanks to 27 points being on offer for those two positions.
– If Ferrari fail to maximise their points return, an Oracle Red Bull Racing victory and fastest lap bonus point for either Verstappen or Pérez would be enough to get the job done.
– Twenty-five-year-old Verstappen has scored 12 of those Grand Prix wins so far this season and he can match Vettel and Michael Schumacher for the most wins in an F1 season with 13 if he triumphs on Sunday.
– It would also be Verstappen’s 33rd Grand Prix victory, which is significant as Verstappen raced under the number 33 “for double happiness” before he was elevated to number one this season.
– Not only that, a big result for Pérez would help him in the battle for second place overall as he holds a one-point lead heading into the final four races with Brazil featuring the Sprint format.
– Ultimately, to achieve their best season ever, Oracle Red Bull Racing need good grid position in Saturday qualifying to lay the foundation for another potentially historic day for the team on Sunday.