GMC’s electric supertruck lineup expands with the addition of the 2024 HUMMER EV SUV — and it is loaded with smart, purposeful technology.
“GMC’s HUMMER EV SUV offers an exceptional balance of on-road performance and off-road capability, enhanced by a unique structure that allows for our signature open-air experience,” said Al Oppenheiser, HUMMER EV chief engineer. “New features debuting on the SUV reinforce its role as a tactical tool in almost any situation.”
New technologies include a new available Power Station generator1 that enables customers to utilize up to 3 kW of power from the vehicle, turning the HUMMER EV SUV into a power source on the trail or a backup generator.
Kelly MacDonald, Chief Marketing Officer, General Motors Africa and Middle East said: “The excitement we have seen in our region upon the HUMMER EV reveal exceeded our expectations. Today, with the reveal of the HUMMER EV SUV, we further assert our commitment to bringing world-class trucks and SUVs while also pushing forward our future mobility agenda, and this milestone embodies this promise in the best way possible. We are very excited and cannot wait to see it on the roads in the Middle East – a market that has a strong emotional connection to both GMC and HUMMER.”
HUMMER EV’s interdependent body/battery structure enables the Infinity Roof on the EV pickup as well as the SUV, and expected best-in-class off-road proportions help make the new SUV even more maneuverable — while making the most of the HUMMER EV’s signature features such as CrabWalk2, Extract Mode and more.
- Interdependent body/battery structure that supports a unique, double-stacked battery pack
- An available three-motor Ultium Drive system that delivers up to 830 horsepower and 11,500 lb-ft of torque / 15,591 NM — enough power for super-fast 0-100km/h sprints in approximately 3.5 seconds with Watts-to-Freedom3 (based on GM estimates)
- New Power Station generator1 that enables 19.2kW AC charging, generator functionality (120v/25A/3kW) and ability to charge other EVs (240v/25A/6kW)
- An off-road beast, with nearly 9-inch less wheelbase than HUMMER EV Pickup, giving it expected best-in-class off-road proportions, with greater departure and breakover angles and a tighter turning circle of only 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) with 4-Wheel Steer
- An immersive experience that puts the driver at the center of every moment, including customizable user experience features and an open driving experience, with the standard Infinity Roof with removable Sky Panels and I-Bar.
The HUMMER EV SUV is driven by General Motors’ Ultium Platform and launches with the exclusive US Edition 1 package, offered in Moonshot Green Matte4 with or without the Extreme Off-Road Pack, for greater customer choice in tailoring the vehicle for maximum driving range or maximum off-road capability.
Master of Maneuverability
With a nearly 9-inch shorter wheelbase than the HUMMER EV Pickup, the all-new HUMMER EV SUV offers even greater maneuverability, with expected best-in-class off-road proportions and a turning circle of only 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) with 4-Wheel Steer — nearly the same as a Chevrolet Bolt EV.
Without the constraints of a conventional propulsion system and traditional drive axles, tremendous power and control is available to each of wheel. In fact, the Ultium drive system can channel power to a single wheel, keeping the vehicle moving in some of the toughest driving conditions and terrain — including 13 inches of suspension travel, climbing 60-percent grades (forward and reverse), scaling 18-inch verticals and fording water more than 2 feet deep.
Standard features on US Edition 1 model include 4-Wheel Steer with CrabWalk2, which allows diagonal-drive functionality, as well as Adaptive Air Suspension with Extract Mode and 22-inch wheels with 35-inch-OD Goodyear all-terrain tires. e4WD with torque vectoring is available as standard on US Edition 1. The available Extreme Off-Road Pack adds:
- Unique 18-inch wheels and 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
- Underbody armor and rock sliders
- UltraVision with underbody cameras5 (front- and rear-facing with wash system)
- Front eLocker and rear virtual lockers
- HD ball-spline half-shafts.
HUMMER EV SUV & PICKUP OFF-ROAD DRIVING SPECIFICATIONS COMPARED
|HUMMER EV SUV||HUMMER EV PICKUP|
|Wheelbase (in. / mm):||126.7 / 3218||135.6 / 3445|
|Vehicle length w/o spare (in. / mm):||196.8 / 4999.5||216.8 / 5507|
|Width w/o mirrors (in. / mm):||86.5 / 2196||86.7 / 2201|
|Width w/ mirrors (in. / mm):||93.7 / 2380||93.7 / 2380|
|Max ground clearance (in. / mm):||16.0 / 406||15.9 / 404|
|Front overhang (in. / mm):||34.7 / 881||34.7 / 881|
|Rear overhang w/o spare (in. / mm):||35.5/ 900.5||46.5 / 1181|
|Approach angle (deg.):||49.6||49.7|
|Departure angle w/o spare (deg.):||49.0||38.4|
|Breakover angle (deg.):||34.4||32.2|
|Water fording depth (in. / mm):||32 / 813||32 / 813|
|Track (in. / mm):||73.3 / 1863 (front and rear)||73.3 / 1863 (front and rear)|
|Turning circle, 4-wheel steering (ft. / m):||35.4 / 10.8||37.1 / 11.3|
|Suspension travel (in. / mm):||13 / 330 (front and rear)||13 / 330 (front and rear)|
The 2024 HUMMER EV SUV offers a multisensory, immersive experience that puts drivers in the middle of every moment.
The HUMMER EV’s user experience team worked with Perception, a creative agency best-known for their Sci-Fi Thinking and technology design work within the Marvel Universe, to create a cinematic in-cabin experience that engages the senses.
Special features such as Watts To Freedom3 bring their own unique multisensory, interactive experiences, with distinctive sound via the premium Bose audio system, feel through the haptic driver’s seat and sight, with custom screen displays showing the special performance mode is “armed and ready.”
The user experience is customizable through My Mode, allowing the driver to tailor their favorite features including steering, suspension, sound and acceleration for a truly personal interface that celebrates every drive.
The HUMMER EV’s remarkable driving capabilities blend with these engaging technologies and a carefully crafted user experience, creating a sense of intensity and drama for drivers and passengers, while features such as the standard Infinity Roof and modular Sky Panels create an open experience, allowing customers to enjoy HUMMER EV’s nearly silent movement during outdoor adventures.
The HUMMER EV SUV was also designed as a two-row SUV with a shorter wheelbase to help optimize its off-road maneuverability while providing secure rear storage, with instantly recognizable proportions that convey HUMMER EV’s characteristically aggressive stance.
“Designing the Pickup and SUV simultaneously helped us give each their own unique features to maximize utility,” said Phil Zak, HUMMER EV design executive director. “The SUV’s tight proportions create a distinct profile and spacious cargo area, while maintaining a roomy and architecturally-inspired cabin.”
The rear design is unique to the SUV and incorporates a standard full-size spare tire mounted to a power swing-out tailgate. Using one of three button options, the swing gate automatically opens like a vault — even wider than the vehicle itself. The extra allows for an unimpeded 48-inch opening designed to make loading gear and supplies easier. The spare tire mount also creatively houses a rear-facing camera to assist with reverse maneuvers and trailer alignment.
Inside, a similar five-passenger layout from the truck remains, allowing for a large and useful rear cargo area. In fact, with the rear seats folded flat, the HUMMER EV SUV offers up to 81.8 cubic feet of cargo space. On top of that, there is an additional storage space hidden under the load floor and another compartment integrated into the side trim.
The SUV’s US Edition 1 debuts a new, exclusive Moonshot Green Matte4 exterior color, and the SUV’s full palette will offer seven additional colors (late availability). US Edition 1 also introduces the Lunar Shadow interior theme, which will offer a more rugged option to complement the high-contrast Lunar Horizon interior previously shown on the supertruck.
Super-Strong and Super-Fast
As with the HUMMER EV Pickup, the new SUV is built on a unique, interdependent body/battery structure that serves two crucial functions: It reinforces the overall structure for exceptional rigidity, while also protecting the double-stacked Ultium battery pack.
“The HUMMER EV’s body protects the battery, while the battery supports the structure,” said Oppenheiser. “That means the battery pack itself is a structural element, which enables a truly open-air experience and a rare combination of extreme off-road capability and smooth on-road performance in a body-frame integral platform.”
A large, flat load floor incorporates a protective sheer panel sandwiched between the high-strength martensitic top and bottom layers, which help protect the battery. The strength and rigidity of the floor helps reduces twisting and deformation, while also providing the stiffness required to enable the HUMMER EV’s removable Sky Panels and I-Bar.
With GM’s unique ability to stack long pouch cells vertically or horizontally, the HUMMER EV SUV is able to package its power in a relatively small space: a 20-module, double-stacked battery pack, consisting of two layers of ten modules. It can deliver up to 830 horsepower and 11,500 lb-ft of torque / 15,591 NM and is capable of enabling 0-100km/h times in approximately 3.5-seconds with Watts To Freedom3(GM estimates).
Tactical Technology with new Trail Mapping
The HUMMER EV SUV is loaded with smart, purposeful technology designed to enhance on-and off-road excursions.
“It’s technology that adds to the HUMMER EV’s immersive driving experience,” said Mike Colville, EV complex feature integration.
Standard HUMMER EV SUV technologies include:
- Large, 13.4-inch-diagonal infotainment6 screen and 12.3-inch-diagonal driver information center display that convey a wealth of vehicle performance and driver awareness information.
- In-vehicle Energy App that that monitors energy use, sets up charging schedules, battery temperature conditioning and more, right from the infotainment screen
- Digital Key allows owners to use their smartphone as the key fob for their HUMMER EV. The technology detects the owner’s phone and its location in proximity to the vehicle, enabling a number of passive operations such as approach lighting, entry unlock and vehicle operation
- HD Surround Vision5 with up to 14 camera views and available UltraVision5 offers 17 camera views with underbody cameras (included with available Extreme Off-Road Pack)
- Off-Road Widgets offer a myriad of information related to the HUMMER EV’s selectable capabilities and performance readouts in off-road driving scenarios — everything from the ride height and eLocker engagement to compass headings, pitch/roll status and more.
Ultium Platform and new Power Station generator
General Motors’ Ultium Platform drives the new HUMMER EV SUV. Its revolutionary architecture provides the framework to integrate advanced technologies for optimal driving range, while also enabling performance and capabilities that would not be possible with a conventional vehicle architecture and propulsion system.
US Edition 1 Highlights include:
- 20-module, double-stacked Ultium battery that will offer more than 480+ km of range7 (without the available Extreme Off-Road Pack) and power for three motors
- Three-motor e4WD drive system offering the equivalent of GM-estimated 830 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb-ft / 15,591 NM of torque
- 800-volt DC public fast charging8 capability of up to 300 kW. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging
- Regen on Demand9, which can slow the vehicle to a full stop without pressing the brake pedal, and feeds that energy back into the vehicle
- One-Pedal Driving10 and Terrain Mode. One-Pedal Driving can slow the vehicle to a full stop using the accelerator pedal providing very fine control, while Terrain Mode uniquely integrates the brake system with One-Pedal Driving, giving the driver precise control while off-roading and rock crawling
- New Power Station generator1 that enables 19.2kW AC charging, generator functionality (120v/25A/3kW) and ability to charge other EVs (240v/25A/6kW).
The new Power Station generator1 offers significant external powering capabilities to power off road adventures and more. With enhanced vehicle hardware, the HUMMER EV SUV can jump charge another electric vehicle at 240v/25A/6kW and power a variety of equipment at 120v/25A/3kW.
Performance targets, estimates and capability specifications based on computer-aided analysis and simulation using virtual engineering tools.