With a Cadillac-estimated top speed of 189 mph and track-tailored chassis and suspension features, the 2022 CT4-V Blackwing is a quantifiably quick performance sedan. Its available carbon fiber packages deliver exceptional agility and confidence thanks to the reduction of lift and the increase of downforce they produce.
Both available aero packages were developed using a new five-belt rolling-road wind tunnel at the GM Technical Center in Warren, Michigan, as well as the Windshear wind tunnel used by Cadillac Racing in North Carolina. The result is the highest level of aerodynamic downforce ever produced by a Cadillac V-Series production car.
“Aero performance was key to helping deliver the uniquely agile, engaging driving experience in the CT4-V Blackwing,” said Scott Sier, aerodynamics performance engineer, Cadillac. “Thanks to components like the underwing, we were able to work with design to generate downforce without the use of large wings that didn’t fit with the design.”
The available aero packages are inspired by the multiple-championship-winning Cadillac Racing DPi-V.R race car. Over 500 hours of wind tunnel testing and 300 simulations using advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics technology honed the Carbon Fiber packages on CT4-V Blackwing. The use of Virtual Reality headsets also allowed Cadillac engineers to identify opportunities in real-time to exploit additional aerodynamic efficiencies.
The five-belt rolling road wind tunnel at the GM Technical Center allows engineers to spend more time fine-tuning aerodynamic components on full-size vehicles. The five belts provide a more accurate simulation of under-vehicle airflow than previous-generation wind tunnels.
“We set out to create a capable and balanced performance sedan not just with mechanical grip, but aerodynamically as well,” said Tony Roma, chief engineer, Cadillac V-Series Blackwing. “With the CT4-V Blackwing, we create net downforce that is incredibly rare in production vehicles. What this means is that the car gets pressed down into the road the faster you go, giving it more grip, greater stability and inspiring the driver to confidently explore its full capabilities. Not only have we produced our most track-capable sub-compact sedan ever, but we continue to work with our racing counterparts to explore the limits of physics to make better cars.”
Aerodynamic components include:
- Front underwing
- Inspired by the Cadillac DPi-V.R race car, the front underwing creates a low pressure zone that helps press the car into the road and directs air to cool critical components.
- Air strakes control airflow, directing air away from the underbody, helping create downforce and balance the vehicle.
- Front dive planes
- Increase grip to front tires by pushing the front down.
- An 18 mm sidewall controls air and directs vortices downstream to better manage airflow.
- Rear spoiler
- Integrated to balance the car for greater stability.
- Curvature tuned for the creation of downforce without the addition of bolt on components.
- Features a functional 3 mm Gurney flap that helps direct airflow and assists in creating more downforce.
- V-Series Blackwing grille mesh
- Radius of each V-shaped inlet tuned to optimize airflow.
- Each V-shaped inlet features two different functional textures to control and direct air.
- Brake cooling ducts
- 3D-printed in the General Motors Additive Manufacturing facility, these ducts keep the front and rear rotors cool even in extreme track conditions.
- Function as a foil to direct air more efficiently around front control arms.
- Fender vents
- Front fender vents release pressure built up within the front wheel well to reduce lift and drag.
- Aid in removing hot air from the engine bay.
- Front splitter, rocker moldings and extensions, and rear diffuser
- Help reduce lift and balance the vehicle at high speeds.
- Flat underbody
- Body panels help with airflow management.
- Rear control arm covers
- Prevent air from building up around rear wheel well and control arms.
Carbon Fiber Package #1 includes:
- Front dive planes
- Underwing strakes
- Extra-aero front splitter
- Front wheel deflectors
- Extra-aero rear spoiler
Carbon Fiber Package #2 includes:
- Rocker extensions
- Rear valance diffuser
In addition to its aerodynamic prowess, the CT4-V Blackwing is driven by an evolution of the Cadillac 3.6L Twin-Turbo V6, which is rated at 472 horsepower (352 kW) and 445 lb-ft of torque (603 Nm). There’s also an advanced, track-tested high-performance braking system, as well as an enhanced electronic limited-slip rear differential, optimized for each driving mode and each Performance Traction Management setting. The CT4-V Blackwing is equipped with a specially tuned fourth-generation Magnetic Ride Control (MR 4.0) as standard.
While initial V-Series Blackwing reservations sold out quickly, a limited supply of vehicles are still available to order. Visit Cadillac.com to configure your CT4-V Blackwing or CT5-V Blackwing and connect with your preferred dealer to place an order. Vehicles will begin arriving at dealerships in late summer.
6 سوف تتوفر طرازات V-Series Blackwing بشكل محدود.